Today we’d like to introduce you to Jodi Stolove.
Thanks for sharing your story with us Jodi. So, let’s start at the beginning and we can move on from there.
It all began, more than 30 years ago, when I “stumbled” upon an idea. After breaking my foot, the necessity to continue teaching my dance and fitness classes had me “dancing in my chair.” The benefit: I was staying fit and happy!
Soon after, while teaching at a Medical Weight Loss Center, it was my job to introduce exercise and motivate healthy compliance by the patients. I heard very reasonable excuses as to why walking and other conventional ways to exercise were out of the question. Overweight and out of shape, perhaps with a bad knee, foot problems, or a twinge of arthritis, the need for another fitness option became apparent.
When I introduced my Chair Dancing Fitness programs, people exclaimed I can do this! And, WOW, it feels good and it’s fun!
Following testing by medical professionals, the program I created was endorsed by prominent healthcare organizations. Nationwide publicity and resulting sales soon had me producing more programs. Over the past 25 years, I have released 12 fitness videos that are designed to reach people who need the benefits of exercise, the 80% of people that mean to exercise but don’t!
My products were launched based on a solution to a problem- difficulty in exercising solved! Finally, a DVD for people who need a fitness alternative- our programs provide a simple and very effective solution.
Has it been a smooth road?
One of my favorite expressions is, “a disappointment today may be a blessing in disguise tomorrow.”
There have been 3 big disappointments/obstacles/challenges that stand out:
- Kaiser Permanente Health Education produced my 1st video in 1991. They invested $100,000 dollars and I was paid and given a license to sell our product outside of the Kaiser Health Plan. In 1995 the demand for a new program became apparent. Much to my disappointment, Kaiser denied funding and participation. I prevailed over this frustrating news by producing it independently. With full ownership of the new video program, I successfully sold 1000’s of copies to Kaiser and other distributors, recouping my investment rather quickly!
- Getting on HSN (Home Shopping Network) was a dream come true! I shipped thousands of a set of DVDs to Florida for an intended sell out! Unfortunately, we did not sell all that we shipped and we had to pay shipping back to our California warehouse. It was very disappointing and costly. The turnaround solution was to sell off this inventory to Kaiser Health Education. They got a great deal and we cleared out our inventory – creating a win-win!
- Another amazing dream come true was selling live on QVC for 9 years. At the end of the “run” (like with HSN) I unfortunately had to ship back from their East Coast Warehouse approximately $35,000 of unsold inventory. Soothing myself with the fact that my DVDs don’t “spoil’ or “go out of style” I got to work selling them!
So, as you know, we’re impressed with Chair Dancing® Fitness – tell our readers more, for example what you’re most proud of as a company and what sets you apart from others.
We are: Fitness for everyone- not just the already fit people!
I attribute the success of the program to its accessibility and to the fact that it simply makes people feel good. I love getting positive feedback from participants and I’m proud that many medical practitioners recommend our videos and DVDs to their obese patients. “When people realize that, yes, they too can exercise, they become gleeful,” “They say, ‘You mean I can exercise without standing up? I don’t have to pound my knees or hurt myself?’ It’s so rewarding to return movement to people who thought they’d never be able to exercise again.”
JoAnn Smoker of Tavares, Florida, is one of our many success stories. Smoker, who had diabetes and high blood pressure, needed to have both knees replaced. She wanted to exercise and even tried doing tapes at home, but her knees couldn’t hold up. She started Chair Dancing after her daughter Debi, a registered dietitian, suggested she try it. More than 60 pounds and several lost inches later, Smoker considers herself lucky to be alive and tells everyone she can about the program. “If someone says they can’t exercise, I tell them, ‘Yes, you can!’”
Let’s touch on your thoughts about our city – what do you like the most?
I love everything about San Diego. I have lived many other places and we have the best weather, greatest beauty and everything available for a healthy and happy lifestyle.
- Our DVDs and/or downloadable programs sell from $14.95 – $19,95
- We offer Unique Easy Grip Hand Weights for $12.95
- Our Magic Totes are just $9.95
- Website: www.chairdancingfitness.com
- Phone: 858 793-1177
- Email: Jodi@Chairdancing.com
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chairdancingfitness/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chairdancingfitness/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/chairdancing
Chair Dancing® International Inc.