Today we’d like to introduce you to Marc Bennett.
Marc, let’s start with your story. We’d love to hear how you got started and how the journey has been so far.
I opened the first tattoo shop (Propaganda Tattoo) in Pt. Loma in 2005. I was a body piercer at the time. I grew out of piercing as I got older and also the piercing industry was slowly dying out. In 2008, I went to barber college and in 2009 I opened my 2nd tattoo parlor in the College Area which included a 1 chair barber shop in the back. In 2010, I added the tattoo removal clinic to my tattoo parlor and 1 chair barber shop in the College Area (San Diego Laser Removal). The barber shop became so busy that in 2015, I decided to move the barber shop out of the tattoo parlor and down the street 1/2 mile. It is now a 5 chair barber shop with 7 barbers in total.
All the while, I barely graduated from high school and had no money to start any of this. I moved to CA from New Jersey in 2000. I was $48,000 in credit card debt and had no idea what I wanted to do. After I got into Tony Robbins programs and making huge changes in my life I took a chance on myself, so after working 3 jobs, 84 hours a week for 5 years and paying off all $48,000 in credit card debt. I again maxed out credit cards to open the first tattoo parlor (I don’t recommend financing your business this way). This time I was able to pay them off in 4 years, open a 2nd, 3rd and 4th business and now living a life I could have never imagined. I have been self-employed for 13 years now and it’s amazing.
Great, so let’s dig a little deeper into the story – has it been an easy path overall and if not, what were the challenges you’ve had to overcome?
It was a struggle at first.
In 2005, I put myself back in debt to open my first business and also worked a “regular job” to try to and design my life the way I wanted to live it down the road. I was still working about 72 hours a week (7 days a week) between my business and my job. This lasted until 2009 when I graduated barber college and opened my 2nd tattoo parlor. Once I was done with barber college and working full time as a barber I was able to go down to 4 days per week of but still working 48 hours per week. I did that until January of this year when I went down to 3 days per week and about 36 hours.
Please tell us about Pappy’s Neighborhood Barber Shop, San Diego Laser Removal, and Propaganda Tattoo,
1. Pappy’s Neighborhood Barber Shop – In business 8 years. We pride ourselves on being the best, not just at haircuts but at customer experience. We perform great haircuts with the addition of Hot Towels to clean off excess hair and refresh you, Hot Lather neck shaves to get all the excess hair all off and should massages to finish off each service
2. San Diego Laser Removal (tattoo removal) – In business 8 years. We are the most experienced tattoo removal clinic in San Diego, performing 200+ treatments every single month. Both of our nurses have been with us 4 + years making them the most experienced RN’s in Southern CA.
3. Propaganda Tattoo – One of San Diego’s Premier Tattoo Parlors. We have been in business for almost 13 years. We offer every kind of tattoo style with an experience that is 2nd to none.
Do you look back particularly fondly on any memories from childhood?
My favorite memory from childhood is my hanging out with my best friend Tina. To this day we are very close. We grew up next door to each other in New Jersey and became friends when I was 3 years old. We have been best friends for 40 years and we now are raising our own kids. Even though we are 3000 miles apart we are as close as ever.
- Pappy’s Barber Shop – Haircuts $25, Hot Towel Shaves $30 and Beard Trims – $25
- San Diego Laser Removal – $79 per treatment (per finger tattoo), $99 per treatment (fits under a business card), $199 per treatment (fits under post card)
- Propaganda Tattoo – $100 minimum
- Address: Pappy’s Neighborhood Barber Shop
6528 El Cajon Blvd
San Diego, CA 92115San Diego Laser Removal
6168 El Cajon Blvd
San Diego, CA 92115Propaganda Tattoo
3704 Voltaire St. #102
San Diego, CA 92107Propaganda Tattoo
6166 El Cajon Blvd
San Diego, CA 92115
- Website: www.pappysbarbershop.com, www.sandiegolaserremoval.com, www.propagandatattoo.com
- Phone: Pappy’s 619 885 2887, San Diego Laser Removal 619 269 0569, Propaganda Tattoo 619 260 0069
- Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/pappysbarbershop/ https://www.instagram.com/sandiegolaserremoval/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Pappys-Neighborhood-Barber-Shop-San-Diego-115839571811811/ https://www.facebook.com/SanDiegoLaserTattooRemovalClinic/ https://www.facebook.com/propagandatattoo/
- Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/pappys-barber-shop-san-diego-2