Connect
To Top

Meet Mitch McSteamy Carruthers, Daniel “The Talent” Cotillon, Larry “Lar-Bear” Young, and Chris “Captain Positive” Dycus

Today we’d like to introduce you to Mitch McSteamy Carruthers, Daniel “The Talent” Cotillon, Larry “Lar-Bear” Young, and Chris “Captain Positive” Dycus.

Every artist has a unique story. Can you briefly walk us through yours?
Fishing For Chips is your fresh breath of pop-punk; bringing a unique mix to the San Diego Punk Scene. They have hit the ground running since forming in 2017! Tackling the majority of major venues in San Diego, they have big 2019 plans to spread the fun throughout the Western US which started with a five day run to The Bay Area and back with best friends and fellow local SD punk band The Rough.

In addition to their debut E.P. “We Shoulda Done This Sober,” they have also made appearances on multiple comps with bands like Strung Out, Mest, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Pulley and shared the stage with Michale Graves of the Misfits and Guttermouth. The band has been featured on 91x’s Loud Speaker, Fox 5, Blank TV, Sandiegopunk.com, and numerous podcasts.

The band has just released their debut album “We’re Going To Need A Bigger Album” independently on Itunes, Spotify, Apple music, Google Play, Pandora, and more; getting plays in over 20 countries in just over a month!

Please tell us about your art.
We write music because its fun and we physically can’t keep ourselves from writing more (believe me, we’ve tried). How or who writes our songs depends on the day. All four of us write music; however, Daniel and Myself (Mitch) have written the majority of the songs we have released. Each song has its own inspiration, when Daniel has a bad week at work, BAM! We get a heavy song. When I get nostalgic and think of all the things we did as teenagers to get away from what we perceived them as “Big Problems,” BOOM, we have nostalgic songs. When we remember how drunk we got after a show which turned into some sort of National Lampoon movie come to life. KAPOW! We have a party song.

Every single one of our songs is inspired in a moment; we simply grasp what we feel in that moment and turn it into songs people can relate to. We want people to listen to a song and feel like they aren’t the only ones going through those situations and be entertained while they come to that realization. About 90% of our songs derive from real life circumstances, with the other 10% being Obviously over exaggerated because songs are just more enjoyable that way.

As an artist, how do you define success and what quality or characteristic do you feel is essential to success as an artist?
The biggest and most important factor for us in defining success is how much fun we are having. Of course, we would love to make playing music our full-time jobs, but if we aren’t having fun, there is no reason to continue on. The moment it stops being overall fun, we would most likely call it quits. The reason Fishing For Chips has been what we would consider successful in just a short time as a band is because we have more fun than any other bands we know, just ask them! It doesn’t matter if we’re playing House of Blues for hundreds of people or Milk Bar in San Francisco to four people, we play our shows exactly the same; with vigorous energy and toilet humor.

How or where can people see your work? How can people support your work?
Our Music can be found on 50+ websites, or you can come to see us at a show near you! We typically play at least 1 or 2 shows a month in the local San Diego Area and a 3rd date in the surrounding areas (L.A., Orange County, etc.). The Biggest support any local bands could ask for is following us on social media pages (Insta/Facebook), but more importantly, come out to a show! Most local bands play shows that only cost $5-$15, Every famous musician you have ever heard of was a local band once, and many local bands are just as talented, you’ve just never heard of them. Get out there and discover new music in your town. San Diego’s current music scene is filled with insanely talented and entertaining musicians, and we feel fortunate enough to be able to share stages with them all!

Contact Info:

Image Credit:
Eric “Cheecho” Kocol
Dani Fasser
Georgette Serano
A Guy In A Parking Lot

Getting in touch: SDVoyager is built on recommendations from the community; it’s how we uncover hidden gems, so if you know someone who deserves recognition, please let us know here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in