Today we’d like to introduce you to Nick and Chris Zoch.
Nick and Chris, please share your story with us. How did you get to where you are today?
Our home is in Vista, CA. We enjoy living close to the beach and sipping fine wine while sharing our ideas with great friends. However, it was the wine country in southern Oregon that inspired us to become creative with recycled woods and start Upcycled Creations.
We are both retired. We work out of our home where we have built a workshop on our property. Nick is a talented craftsman. He is very energetic, and has a high level of attention to detail. He enjoys custom orders and can make almost anything from a picture or description. We began with selling our designs at two local stores. Bucket of Nails in Fallbrook and Ampersand in Carlsbad. Chris’s creativity lies within the garden. She spends the majority of her time creating succulent arrangements with wine bottles, old refurbished containers, and reusing driftwood as a basis for her plantings. She also runs the business Together, we enjoy gardening, landscaping, and designing items from reclaimed materials.
Repurposed, Recycled, Refined, is who we are……..
Overall, has it been relatively smooth? If not, what were some of the struggles along the way?
For the most part, it has been a smooth road. The two stores we are in have helped us market our wares and have been very supportive as we introduce new and different wine barrel art. One of the struggles we have had are keeping up with demand during the holidays. Over the last couple of years, we have gotten better about being more prepared for the busy times and try to have more product on the shelf at all times. The biggest challenge is that Nick does all the woodwork himself. Chris helps with ordering, transporting and basic support as needed.
Another struggle is obtaining quality barrels in a timely fashion as we use them up. We have partnered with a few wineries over the last couple of years and getting the barrels is beginning to be less of a problem.
UpCycled Creations – what should we know? What do you guys do best? What sets you apart from the competition?
UpCycled Creations builds furniture and home decor from used wine barrels. We purchase French oak barrels from wineries in Napa, Paso Robles and Temecula. I would say that we specialize in making high quality pieces with attention to detail in every regard. All hardware is hidden with plugs stained to match the barrel stave. We try to introduce new pieces when we find ones that we feel customers will appreciate. We are very proud of our quality and feel we stand above the competition.
Our intent is to offer wine enthusiasts finely crafted products relating to their love of wine, as well as fun accents to their décor and dining experiences.
What is “success” or “successful” for you?
We define success in the following areas:
1) Building “relationships” with suppliers, store owners and end users.
2) Delivering a “quality” product in a timely manner. Having only Nick craft our furniture is important, because he takes great pride in all that comes out of his shop.
3) “Communication”! The ability to listen, hearing the needs of our customers. We also appreciate input from others if they have a suggestion or idea to improve our items.
4) The ability to make “Change” to the wants and needs of the marketplace. We strive for and deliver many custom ideas or dreams from our customers. Nick loves the term, “WOW”!
- Address: 1738 El Dorado Ct.
- Website: upcycledcreations.net
- Phone: 503-718-8156
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: ourupcycledcreations
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UpcycledCreationsVista/