Today we’d like to introduce you to Veronica Wheat.
Veronica, let’s start with your story. We’d love to hear how you got started and how the journey has been so far.
Ready to move on from working in restaurants and having graduated from college, in 2010 I started a business in San Diego offering private chef services. My business’s cuisine style was healthy comfort food using organic seasonal meats and produce. The company started to keep me very busy, both as an in-home private chef and with frequent catering jobs including weddings, showers, birthdays, office parties and more.
In 2011, I started a meal delivery for the clients I met at events I catered. I had several dozen clients and made breakfast, lunch and dinner for them, plus I delivered twice a week, myself! The business grew and grew. One of my trademark recipes was my Green Drink. I would have my clients drink my famous Green Drink before each meal. This way they were always getting a little bit of healthy greens with each meal. I made them drink it before eating their meals and wait 15 minutes before eating their food for proper absorption.
Green Drink was a hit. My Clients started sharing their Private Chef’s Green Drink with their friends and family. And before I knew it I had 100 green drink only clients in San Diego. I concluded my private chef services in November 2012 and focused on keeping up with the increasing demand for my certified Organic Green Drink and Cleanses.
Why not just encourage my clients to buy a green drink or cleanse from the store?
Because as a nutritional therapist I saw how bad the sugar latent drinks and cleanses on the market were. Many contain around 200g of sugar a day and I was appalled. It is not recommended to consume more than 40g of sugar in one day.
So I created a real Cleanse that incorporates my Green Drink, plus two vegan protein shakes each day and a tasty soup at night. My clients started my new Cleanse product and were losing up to 15 lbs in 3 days and up to 25 lbs in 7 days.
My Chef V Cleanse became so popular, I expanded my deliveries to Los Angeles, Orange County, and the Bay Area in 2013 and in 2014 I moved to New York City to start my East coast production facility. Chef V now services the entire country (minus Hawaii and Alaska, sorry friends). We are family owned and operated. My husband and I run all aspects of the business. And our dog child Mr. CocoNut is the mascot.
I also published my first cookbook in 2016. It’s all about healthy comfort foods. The book is called “Making Cleansing Easier”. It’s available on my website ChefV.com and on Amazon.
Has it been a smooth road?
Nothing good ever comes easy. Like I said, we moved to NYC in 2014 which was fun but uprooting your whole life to move across the country isn’t exactly easy. If it was everyone would do it. But we did and we thrived on the East Coast. Now, 4 years later, we are moving the NYC facility to New Jersey. Just a hop, skip and a jump away from the current location.
In San Diego we have a storefront but not currently on the East Coast. So once Jersey opens we will now have a storefront. However, again we had to sacrifice our lives and move from gorgeous San Diego to Jersey for a year while we get it built and up and running. I fly back and forth to check on locations often but the majority of what I do is remote. I have camera access to all facilities, managers I trust, daily reporting, and I get my green drink delivered from both coasts multiple times a week so I am constantly trying the product for quality control (When I’m not physically there).
Of course, there are more hiccups I’ve learned as a business owner: Last year, 2017 I launched 7 new products, but we saw a decrease in sales with an increase in labor and costs. So this year, 2018, we’ve gone back to what we do best, Organic Green Drink and cleanses and sales are back up, profits are up, labor is down, and costs are down.
We had a shipping hiccup too. We were charging only $45 for overnight shipping in certain areas like Texas, Florida, Louisiana, and found out we were being charged $100+ each shipment so we’ve temporarily had to pause TX, LO, & FL for these reasons.
However, we plan on opening a southern location to service these areas in the near future. All of these obstacles happen in a business and it’s how you learn and grow from them and not let them ruin your business.
We’d love to hear more about your business.
We sell certified organic green drinks. Why are these drinks special and different than anything else on the market?
1. LOW Sugar. Only 3 g per 8 oz serving. Most juices have 30-40g which is more than a Coca-Cola. And sugar is sugar no matter if it comes from fruit or refined sugar, it still has the same effects on your body. Spikes your blood sugar and turns to fat.
2. Certified organic- a rigorous amount of documentation, inspections, and fees goes into being certified organic and I’ve been happy to have this certification since 2014.
3. Raw, unpasteurized. Many people don’t know that ALL drinks sold in a store like whole foods or any other grocery, has to be pasteurized or have a 5 step kill step. This means they must do something to kill the bacteria. But like chemotherapy, pasteurization kills the good and the bad, leaving you will color sugar water. Raw means that it expires, fast. Pasteurization extends the shelf life, hence, not healthy.
4. Delivered fresh to your home. We deliver weekly to your home so you don’t have to shop, make it yourself, and zero cleanups!
5. We have real a live customer service people who care and are knowledgeable to help you. All of our staff has worked with us for over 3 years and are very highly knowledgeable about all the Chef V products. And if they don’t know the answer, they ask me.
I also developed a cleanse unlike any out there. Most cleanses are all juice, no protein and like 200g of sugar in a day. It’s not recommended that anyone consume more than 40g of sugar in a day.
The Chef V Cleanse comes with 4 green drinks, 2 organic vegan protein shakes, and a delicious soup at night. We’ve sold over 100,000 cleanses all over the nation and have had thousands of success stories. Our yelp, facebook and website have all of these reviews, photos and videos. We are very fortunate to have such great clients.
We offer great incentives for new clients to try it out too. A free week of drinks when you buy a week. Or 50% off any of our cleanses
Is our city a good place to do what you do?
It’s the perfect place. Everyone wants to be healthy but healthy isn’t always easy.
Especially for working moms. We make it easy and affordable to get your greens in each day. And Kids love it too.
To start a business in San Diego I would suggest that they do their research. Juices boomed in San Diego over the last 5 years. And sadly most of the delivery companies closed. Chef V has prevailed by being the first and best. So, my advice is to do something unique, that no one else is doing, or a way that no one else is doing it, and be the best at it. So even if someone tries to copy you, they won’t be as good as you.
San Diego is a great place to do business but rent is getting very high in the area. Luckily SD has many affordable pockets. We moved our facility to San Marcos to save on rent and be more central for our deliveries.
Our city should incentivize people to start their own companies as it brings jobs to San Diego. We happily employ 30 people at Chef V.
- $39/week for 7 Organic Drinks delivered to your door (Plus your first week is free!)
- 50% off any cleanse or challenge code VOYAGE
- $25 Chef V Cook Book
- Address: 1300 E Mission Rd. Ste A San Marcos, CA 92069
- Website: ChefV.com
- Phone: 866-709-6060
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chefvlife/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ChefVLife/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChefVLife
- Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/chef-v-san-marcos
- Other: ChefVblog.com