For many of us, some of our best memories are from late night dining with friends. Sometimes sober, sometimes not so sober, but always a blast. There’s nothing like eating something super satisfying at 2AM – cheers to the heroes that work the late shift and make it happen. Here are some of our favorites.
1. Soda & Swine
- When it’s late and we’ve been out we just can’t get enough of the Dirty Fries and Sliders
- Located in Liberty Station, you’ll find yourself with a tons to see if you need to walk off the calories
- Love their wooden benches, red stools and beautiful succulents throughout the space
2. Lucha Libre Gourmet Taco Shop
Get ready to walk into the the fun, festive world of Lucha Libre. They’ve got TVs running classic wrestling matches and if you come in wearing a Lucha mask they’ll give you the Luchador Discount!
- The Surf N Turf Burrito and Salsa is to die for!
- Excellent veggie options for vegetarians and the large selection of dips wins them extra points in our book
3. Tajima Ramen House
Founded in 2001 on Convoy Street, in San Diego, CA, Tajima has earned a reputation as one of the top Japanese restaurants in San Diego. Owner and entrepreneur, Sam Morikizono, takes pride in delivering an authentic taste of Japan.
- They’ve got one of the widest selections of Japanese cuisine available including select items for vegetarians
- They have four unique, convenient locations in San Diego with different specialties offered so you can select which w
- ould best meet your preferences
- Different branches in San Diego:
- Tajima East Village (Ramen Bar/Small Dishes) – offerings range from specialty ramen varieties, including a vegan ramen and sesame ramen, to spicy curry rice entrees and varieties a la cart menu.
- Tajima Hillcrest (Ramen Bar/Small Dishes) – their menu is simple, focusing on Japanese appetizers and specialty ramen. They cater more towards the ramen lovers and have customizable options.
- Tajima Convoy (Ramen & Izakaya Dishes) – their menu features a wide variety of Japanese entrees, appetizers, desserts and signature ramen dishes. Drink selections include a rotating list of locally brewed craft beers, imported Japanese craft beers, and premier selection of sake.
- Tajima Mercury (Authentic Izakaya Style Menu with Full Bar) – they focus on traditional Izakaya-style food. Their menu features tapas style (small plate) appetizers, fresh specialty sushi rolls and our signature Tajima ramen. A full bar features a variety of specialty cocktails, a selection of Japanese whiskey, local craft beers, Japanese craft beers, sake and wine.
4. El Zarape
Address: 4642 Park Blvd San Diego, CA 92116
Phone: (619) 692-1652
Yelp: 4 stars with 2300+ reviews
- You can’t really go wrong with anything you order here. They have a solid amount of vegetarian items and serve fantastic burritos and tacos
- A great spot to grab a quick bite without killing your wallet
5. Cafe Sevilla
Cafe Sevilla San Diego is located right in the heart of the historic Gaslamp Quarter in downtown San Diego, just steps from the convention center, Petco Park, local shops, museums and other San Diego attractions and has been dedicated to providing the essence of Spanish culture, music and food since 1987.
- Their traditional Paella Valencia is as good as any we’ve had in Spain
- Love the ambiance and live performances; they are home to longest running flamenco dinner show in California. Many of their performers have been trained in Spain and are considered master performers, teachers and choreographers
6. Yakitori Yakyudori & Ramen
- Opened way back in 2010 and now has 3 stores in San Diego:
- Yakyudori Japanese Yakitori Bar – They serve the perfect Yakitori for dinner/a late night meal and are open till 2:50am on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Hinotez Japanese Restaurant – has large rooms for parties, as well as a private room and a Yakitori bar for those who like to enjoy their own time. They’ve got a huge food and drink menu and are open till 1:00am.
- Taisho Japanese Sake Bar – has a cozy and comfortable space with jazz music playing in the background. Enjoy the Yakitori perfected by Taisho (owner-chef in Japanese) along with Japanese Sake handpicked by him. Open till 11:30pm and closed every Sunday
- Hands down one of the best ramen and yakitori spots in San Diego
7. Urbn – North Park
Located in the bustling North Park neighborhood, URBN is a favorite for local draught beers, craft cocktails and New Haven-style pizzas. You can find them on the corner of University Avenue and 31st Street.
- Huge cocktail and beer selection
- Their Mashed Potato Pizza is a must-try and the Brussel Sprouts are winners as well!
- They also offer a Vegan Pizza and a gluten free crust option
8. The Blind Burro
Located steps away from Petco Park, The Blind Burro is owned and operated by Good Time Design in San Diego. The Blind Burro specializes in baja coastal cuisine.
- With a walk up outdoor bar, guests are able to eat and drink, while enjoying the always amazing San Diego weather. During Late nights, the restaurant converts into a fun and unique lounge.
- The tacos are wonderful but the true hero is the Mexican Street Corn
- It shouldn’t be any suprise, but we have to mention that they’ve got a great tequila selection
9. Berkeley Pizza
- Incredible Chicago Style Deep Dish pizzas – their cheese is magic
- Handmade – so it takes time, but it is WORTH IT
- We’ve spent many a late night at Berkeley Pizza #noshame
10. The Asian Bistro
- Open till 3:00 am every Friday and Saturday
- Jimmy Wong’s Golden Dragon neon sign is an icon and landmark of Hillcrest, and it is admired and appreciated by everyone throughout the city
- Their Drunken Noodles were stellar. Their Thai Iced tea is also refreshing
11. Colima’s Mexican Food
- Menu has a vast selection of different items including vegetarian options. Definitely worth a visit up in the Hillcrest University area
- Their awesome Salsa bar offers a lot of different varieties of Salsa flavors with grilled onions and peppers
- They have really good burritos but the Carna Asada would be our go-to order.
12. Hong Kong Restaurant
- They are open until 3:00 am and offer delicious food, huge potions and prices that feel like a steal.
13. Rose Donuts
Address: 5201 Linda Vista Rd Ste 100 San Diego, CA 92110
Phone: (619) 294-8856
Yelp: 4.5 stars with 500+ reviews
- Whether you’re a sweet tooth or not, you’ll definitely love this place. Their Donuts are the fluffiest you’ve probably ever had and they are open 24/7.
- We LOVE LOVE LOVE their Apple Fritter
- They are cash only
14. Doner Mediterranean Grill
- They open Weekdays at 11:30am to Midnight and until 3:00 am on Fridays and Saturdays
- Portions are generous, perfect for when your ready to eat up a storm past midnight
- The falafel is insanely good and the hummus in their wraps is excellent as well; we recommend splitting falafel, fries and a wrap with your late night eating buddy
15. Fat Sal’s Deli
Fat Sal’s feels like most egregious example of late night gluttony one could find this side of the Mississippi. With sandwhich toppings like fries, onion rings, mozzarella sticks, this is where you go when it’s late and you have no shame.
- Fat Sal’s Owner Josh Stone has been featured on KTLA 5 Morning News (Fat Cookout).
- They also teamed up with Black Tap NYC to bring the crazy shake to the west coast! Featured on: Food & Wine Foodbeast Buzzfeed, Food Network and Thrillist’s Best Late Night Food List